I recently spoke about ethnography at the Market Research Intelligence Association’s conference. Below are the original slides from my presentation.
Of course, the in-person experience is so much better, so here’s a run-down of the big ideas:
- Ethnography is about immersing oneself in a “foreign” context
- You do ethnography to really understand your customers, from their own perspective
- Good consumer ethnography is about understanding SYSTEMS (I can’t stress this enough), as well as media channels people are now using
- Outputs from ethnography are often “non-traditional” reports such as tag clouds, comic books, and personas
- It takes longer but it’s worth it